Monday 9 January 2017

New Avenues

For the last few months I've been focusing on trying to get a similar job in the arts. The problem is that there aren't very many and it is highly competitive. I've been unsuccessful.

Over the years I've had a few setbacks. A lack of confidence crept in. As I got nervous my verbal diarrhea set in. I got worse. I did an interviews course and that helped as the next job I went for I got. I also felt I had nothing to lose as I'd just been made redundant on the back of a terrible interview. The problem recurred when I went for the interview which would have made the job permanent. At that stage I was pretty relaxed as I felt that I'd got loads of experience in the year and that something would work out. I subsequently discovered that bereavement and job-hunting don't mix. Neither does job-hunting and heavy colds.

The will to go job-hunting is subsumed by supporting the family. The focus isn't there during interviews. The confidence is knocked. And then it happened, I got an interview, I didn't get it but the reason was that my skillset wasn't right, I apparently was terrific. I did have a little cry but it boosted my confidence so I'm now looking different avenues.

I had the courage to tweet about job-hunting, I'm writing this. I've also cast my net a little wider. I've got an interview for a commercial company for a more junior post. I've been contacted by an agency, I've got a presence on Linkedin. I'm back.

What I would say though is that recruiters seem to forget what it's like to apply. I applied for a job before Christmas and still haven't heard anything. This employer is totally mechanised and I know off the record that the position was offered before Christmas. There are employers that say due to the number of applicants they won't reply unless you have an interview but don't tell you the timescale. I can sympathise up to a point but it costs nothing to send an email and generates goodwill. I won't be applying for another job with the first company I mentioned given that it is the 2nd time I've witnessed this treatment. Neither will I be in a hurry to give it my trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment