Wednesday 4 January 2017

A Change of Focus

For most people January is a time for making New Year's Resolutions. I made mine in September and the beginning of the academic year. I did this for 2 reasons.

January is miserable enough in the UK without giving up things that are fun and trying new discipline. Let's face it, if it's sunny it's cold, if it's mild, it'll be cloudy. Quite often it's damp, in the south it rarely snows and the hours are short!

The other reason why I did it was an attempt to keep positive and focused. My Mother died very suddenly in July and at the end of August my one year contract came to an end. I had been made redundant the previous Summer and had only just got my confidence back. Life hasn't been a lot of fun but at least I'm still here ...

I haven't written about any of this as I am not someone who does her washing in public let alone scatter it round the world and don't intend to now. What I would like to do is to use this as a record of what it's like to job-hunting when you are a certain age and don't quite know what to do. It's also a record of how knitting can help and maybe a few walks. I've also joined a choir. Last year I studied Portuguese to help me with my trip to Rio but I'm not continuing that this term. I wasn't enjoying it so much and it's expensive.

So I do not have New Year's Resolutions. My September goals were to get a job, keep positive, do new things and that's what I am sticking to. I have decided to discipline my knitting or my life could just be sitting and knitting and that's not going to pay the bills! My goals are to work on the following at anyone time:

A pair of socks a month on a them of the London tubelines. This month it's the Bakerloo Line
a hat a month,
learn continental knitting & do a project
finishing my cotton blanket
a spoil me project.

I've documented some of the yarn I've got and so I will not be buying any more unless it is to replace something that I've used or I've got the amounts wrong.

That's me for today....




No comments:

Post a Comment