Sunday 7 August 2016

Rio 2016 Dressage & the grittier side of Rio

If the tennis, Olympic Park and the smooth transport system demonstrated aspirational Rio, today I saw the grittier side of Rio as I headed out to the equestrian Olympic Park and the Dressage.

Train journey was easy but real life wss on it. The new metro to the Olympic Park is just for ticket holders with the Games equivalent of the Travelcard but to get to the Deordor area you take the sumburban train. The railways were orginally built by the Brits but haven't been developed in sthe 20th century so this is a rarity in the country. The tranline seemed to go through some of the poorer areas but not the favelas. The street-sellers also made the most of a captive audience by offering crisps and sweets, hanging their offerings from the handrails. Rminded me of how they used to visit the bars on the Copacabana.

The equestrian centre could not be more different from the architecture of the Olympic Park. One concrete stand and the rest made of sold scaffolding. I don't know much about dressage other thatn what I could remember from childhood pony books but I found it hypnotic as you really did start seeing the difference between how horses reacted to doing the same test. Somehow there was something magical about horse and rider doing something technically demanding, elegantly, quietly and without drama in fairly basic surroundings. Sport truly was King.



There was also a lovely atmosphere inside the stadium with lots of families. I like the fact that there is unallocated seating in many of the venues. It gives it a really fun feal and you can try and avoid the sun! We had a Mexican wave to celebrate a Brazilian rider and then the Braziliam F1 tractor team came out to play, I mean rake.




Below the less than glamorous horse's (centre) backside.


On the way back, I changed train at Marcana station. Of course, I got out to take a look. hat stadium has more magic for me than Wembley as my first football memories are Brazilian. I've longed to go there, be there, & now I've seen it. Next time I'll be at a match there. It's been rebuilt I know and there does seem to be a real mix of styles. A wish of mine has come true - I've seen the place where fantasies have come true such as England beating Brazil!



My final stop of the day was Copacabana. New food stands & Olympics media city detracts but the street sellers are still there, the musica is still there as are the beachlovers. memories and reality jostled together and I will draw a veil over the rest,

Got a taxi up back and to my joy the driver asked me how long I'd been living in Rio. Compliment to my Portuguese even if I speak it with a strong British / Sao Paulo accent.

I enjoyed today. It was Olympics at its purests and Brasil true to itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment