Tuesday 9 August 2016

Rio 2016 Rowing is Oarsome & a gentler side of Rio

The sky was overcast, there was a calm on the Lagoa. Clouds drifted over the Corcovado (Christ Statue) but there was a buzz in the air.

Rio was about to have its first day of good rowing conditions and there was an excited audience for it. OK so it wasn't entirely smooth as 2 capsizes showed but it was definitely my favourite day to date. There were various reasons, whilst the Braziliam crowd had enjoyed the dressage & their cheers and Mexican wave for their competitor was great in the dressage, in the rowing we had racing and not just Brazilian supporters getting  excited. It's also a lovely venue. Even with the clouds scudding across, hills, water, intimate setting & two very good commentators one English & one Braziliam.


Whilst I've not had any problems with transport, it has to be said that it does take time and this was easy.

For the first time I wore a GB t-shirt (query - aren't we Great Britain & Northern Ireland, so where's the NI?) and it was very interesting. Easy to get absorbed into the tribal atmosphere but fewer appraches from random Brazilians and an assumption that I don't speak Portuguese. It was the right day to wear it though given the British levels of involvement in the rowing.

One of the many highlights of the day was bumping into someone I used to work with. Chris has been to every Olympics since Sydney. I'm impressed. I'm here because I wanted to see if I can fall in love with Brasil again after so many years and the Olympics is a good way to do it. It says a lot for the Olympic movement that it can be so motivational.

And so to the rowing. Seen close up, the technique that goes into rowing makes it look so smooth and powerful. Somehow they seem to glide effortlessly through the water with great timing. The reality at the end of the race is exhaustion. It's tough. The timing and teamwork has to be second to none. It's also fascinating how the stroke rate varies (thanks screens) and then you think someone can't be caught but they are overhauled while others storm to a lead and are easy victories. The women's pairs was a terrific race with the British pair trailing. In athletics it might be described as tucked in behind but in rowing they were 4 lanes apart. Just in front of us they increased their pace and you knew they had them. "They've got it!" I shouted as the momentum built. The team member in front of me agreed. "Was that spelt Oarsome or Awesome?" I queried.






And yet, while I loved the Brits it was wonderful to hear the support for the Brazilian women & the Irish mens pairs were terrific too and I shouted for them as well. Again the unallocated seating worked as groups could sit together, friends with friends, tribe with tribe, different supporters applauded the other's teams. Football - eat your heart out.

Incidentally, knitting came too!



Now in previous posts, I've moaned about the ability to get water. The food is terrible but things sank to a new low yesterday. The first outlet I tried had no coffee! I'm in Brasil... Say no more.

After an extended time at the rowing. We built in some of yesterday's rowing, I walked round to the Jardin Botanico stopping off for lunch. Bar/restaurant with a menu entirely in Portuguese. Once the waiter had established I could speak Portuguese but was English he started asking me about Brexit & informed me that those who had plenty should share with those who had nothing. He came from the Northeast near Forteleza with beautiful beaches but had never gone to Sao Paulo. We discussed the quality of life & transport in cities reflecting on the problems of having been dependent on petrol while developing cities. 

And so to the Botanic Gardens. All I can say is wow! They are not Kew as there isn't the wide range of plants but the layout, the specimens, conservation and love. All of that is there.







1 comment:

  1. Lovely to hear all your news Jane. I particularly like the knitting picture and the oarsome joke. So glad you are having a good time after the past few weeks. Love NMS xx
    PS - Back on an even keel now. switzerland did us the power of good.

    ReplyDelete